The focus of Reed School's homework policy is to develop solid study habits and routines. We encourage students and families to create a Monday through Thursday routine and avoid the practice of single sessions. It is this consistent practice that will transfer to success throughout their academic career. During this time your child should spend 20 minutes reading to and/or with you. In the second grade, students will also complete 15 minutes of spelling, handwriting, or other weekly assignments
Tips for Creating Effective Homework Routines
- Set a regular time and place for homework. Be consistent.
- Make sure the homework area is well lit and comfortable.
- Have necessary materials available (books, pencils, crayons, paper, glue sticks).
- Check that your child knows the expectations and directions for the assignment(s).
- Plan time at least once a week or as appropriate to review work your child has completed independently.
- If your child is having trouble focusing, working independently, or doing quality work, set a timer and check back every few minutes as appropriate to offer help and guidance.