Daily reading and developing consistent study habits are critical aspects of an effective homework routine in the primary grades. We expect students to dedicate 15 minutes each night, Monday through Thursday, to homework routines. It is this consistent practice that will transfer to success throughout their academic career.
Tips for Creating Effective Homework Routines
- Set a regular time and place for homework. Be consistent.
- Make sure the homework area is well lit and comfortable.
- Have necessary materials available (books, pencils, crayons, paper, glue sticks).
- Check that your child knows the expectations and directions for the assignment(s).
- Plan time at least once a week or as appropriate to review work your child has completed independently.
- If your child is having trouble focusing, working independently, or doing quality work, set a timer and check back every few minutes as appropriate to offer help and guidance.